The photographic opportunities on all trips are immense. If you wish to record the local people, their houses and shops etc. You can always ask by gesture, if it’s ok to take pictures. Also while visiting Dzongs, monasteries, and religious institutions; please follow your guide’s instruction carefully. Photography inside the Dzongs and monuments are not allowed. Although films and batteries are available locally, it is best to bring it yourself.
The rules and rates for filming in Bhutan differ from that of normal treks and tours. Tourists or professionals intent on filming in Bhutan must abide by the Bhutanese Filming Regulations, 1995, available with the implementing agency, the Department of Tourism. Applications for a filming permit must be submitted to the Department of Tourism.
1. Synopsis of the film ~ theme/background/objective/purpose.
2. Specific locations/objects/activities.
3. Composition of the team and list of equipment, accessories/ consumables (members of the team will have to pay the full daily tourist tariff).
Letter of recommendation from sponsoring agency (application forms can be obtained from the DOT on payment of Nu/300.00)
at least 30 days in advance. The application must be accompanied by:
1. First 30 Minutes or part thereof ~ US $10,000
2. Next 30 Minutes or part thereof ~ US $6,000
3. Every additional 30 Minutes or part there of US $3,000
In addition a security deposit of US $5,000 must be deposited with the DOT. This deposit will be refunded upon completion of the film to the satisfaction of the DOT.